Friday, March 25, 2011

Hammerhead vs. her blood sugar

Hammerhead: I'm going down to the cafeteria to see if I want to be bad.

Ann: What do you mean?

Hammerhead: I mean something that I shouldn't be eating because of my diabetes. Yesterday I didn't eat lunch or dinner. By the time I got to my union meeting I was starving. There was a man there who was eating french fries and I said to him, "You will give me one of those fries. Because if you don't, I will leap across the table and pry one from your cold, dead fingers." And he said "Oh, okay then!"

Ann: You shouldn't go that long without eating. Especially if you're diabetic. And when you do eat you shouldn't eat sugar.

Hammerhead: Well, I just take extra insulin if I do. Every so often I get around it, you know? I just couldn't get up this morning. I screwed up my blood sugar again. After my union meeting I went to Albertson's, and they were having a sale on key lime pies. So I bought two and then I went home and had key lime pie for dinner. But I left enough of them so I couldn't say I ate them both.

1 comment: